Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Paying homage to my Mom's root in Aklan

I still have this great recollection of what my mom's ancestral house looks like, the environment, the houses, the rice fields, the river. But, to SEE AGAIN is to believe. I'm fortunate to see that last May 2, 2008.



I've scheduled a summer getaway heading to BORACAY with my wife. 4 days in this treasured Philippine beach. Conscious of the location (AKLAN), I immedietely think of visiting my Grand Pa at Jugas, New Washington, Aklan, a town after Kalibo going to Iloilo. So before our Cebu Pacific Flight by 8am at Manila Domestic Airport, I immedietely ringed my cousin, Psyche Mae. I asked her to accompany us to our Grand Pa's house. In short, she became our tour guide.

We are at Kalibo Domestic Airport by 9am and my cousin Psyche are waiting for us on the airport gate. I've asked our friends who came along with us to Boracay if me and my wife Mina could pay a trip to my Lolo's house. No one oppose...hehehe.

First, we visited my Aunt Mila's house, near Kalibo Airport. She came along with us, with another cousin of mine (sorry, forgot her name). Then, we went to Aunt Susettes house (she's the Aklan Provincial Capitor assistant Provincial Treasurer). Our cousin Hanna also came along. We made sure that lolo will be surpised on our visit. I've bought chocolate cake and black forest cake of Red Ribbon from Kalibo Gaisano Mall. Before going to Jugas, we took rest at my cuz Psyche Mae's house.

Heading to the Barrio took as almost an hour of mixed cement and rough road. Though the weather is too hot, I manage to enjoy the sceneries as we pass by what my mom foretold places to us like Candelaria and Banga, the rice fields and the Nipa plantation, the fish ponds.



Lolo, here we come! Atlast, after a long winding rough road, I stepped in the house, to where my mom came. I'm really astonished on the place. A real old barrio, were handicraft and farming is the main source of income. I saw my Grand Pa, very old and weary, always asking apologies for he's familiar with our face, not with our names anymore. He's more than 90 years of age. I can't withstand my Grand Pa's condition and immediately called my mom of the situation. What assistance we could offer.

I've also noticed my cousin Joan carrying sacks of "palay" on her shoulder. Imagine, a 21 year old girl. I was touched by heroics, standing as the light of the house. She even cried when she saw us. She was overwhelmed I guess. (Don't know where her mom by that time).

We thank GOD for the food on our table (lots of Fried Galunggong, Sinigang na Galunggong din and steamed talbos ng camote - my request). We ate altogether. One of the happiest moment I've experienced. I've let them show some pictures our our family in Manila via my laptop. We went to our Aunt Pilings house. I manage to see the new unfinished bridge connecting two barrios in between river. Before this bridge came, one of my Grand Pa's business is transferring people from one side to the other using their boat. My mom usually tells us story bout that. I came close on seing the NIPAS where my mom confessed she hate to tie up to make the "SASA", later will become the native roofs of the "Bahay Kubo".

Ah! too much of the memories isn't it. But one thing I notice, I really felt sorry for the condition of my Grand Pa, his room, no fan, not to mention other unhygienic things... It caught me mad once in a while.

Time comes, need to go to Bora. I gave my Aunts and my Lolo a very warm hugs and kisses, promised to visit them again. I've even inserted money to my Lolo's pocket.

Miss my Grand Pa so much.

0 comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online